The Eggplants are in full harvest here in Ontario, and they are looking awesome. I was gifted a few and thought I would share a recipe I made last night. It was simple, quick, and delicious.
Gluten Free Pasta with Eggplant
3 tablespoons of olive or grapeseed oil
1 or 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into about 1/2 inch pieces
1 large tomato cut into 1 inch chunks or you could use a handful of small cheery tomatoes, halved.
half a white onion, diced
1/2 cup of canned stewed tomato, pureed
1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of vinegar
1 table spoon of sugar
1/4 cup of roasted pumpkin seeds
1 package of dried pasta.
salt and pepper
- Heat up the oil in a large pan and put in the carrots and onion. Cook for a couple of minutes and then put in the eggplant and the tomato.
- In a bowl, pour in the tomato puree, vinegar, water, salt to taste (1-2 teaspoons), pepper to taste, and sugar and mix together. Then stir this into the eggplant mixture in the pan.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Stir occasionally until the eggplant is cooked tender which usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Get a large pot of boiling water and cook your pasta according to the package. We use gluten free pasta and it is very important to watch the clock with this as if you are using rice pasta it is very easy to over cook and end up with mush. I find that rice pasta is good at about 8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse your pasta and them combine the pasta and the eggplant mixture.
This dish is great hot or cold. It is filling but doesn’t leave you feeling over loaded. Hope you try it and enjoy! Don’t be surprised if there are a few more eggplant posts this week as I try to use up the other three I have here!