As the colder weather comes, we are all on the hunt for warm comfort foods. Nothing warms you up from the inside like a good curry.
This curry recipe’s superstar is chickpeas! Delicious and full of protein, chickpeas are an awesome alternative to meat. Give this one a try on a cold fall evening.
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp peeled and finely grated ginger
2 tbsp curry powder
pinch cayenne pepper
24 ounce bottle of strained tomatoes
*2 x 14 ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp coconut or brown sugar
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
1 small red pepper, diced
pinch of sea salt
plain yogurt to serve
small handful fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large wok or saucepan and add ginger, garlic and curry powder.
- Stir and cook for 1 minute before adding potatoes and coconut sugar.
- Continue cooking for 3 minutes before adding strained tomatoes, bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chickpeas and mix well. Cover and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Season with sea salt, remove from heat.
- Drizzle with plain yogurt and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro before serving. Serve with brown rice and maybe some Naan bread for a super comfort food.
*For this recipe I used white kidney beans. You may exchange the strained tomatoes for diced tomatoes.