Oh…the weather out is frightful but the chocolate donuts are so delightful!
Getting into the Christmas season with some Vegan chocolate donuts sprinkled with crushed candy cane. I made a gluten free batch as well that worked beautifully with this recipe. They are moist and chocolatey with the hint of mint from the candy cane. Way too good!
3/4 cup all purpose flour ***for gluten free I used 3/4 cup of brown rice flour and 1 teaspoon of xantham gum.
1/3 cup granulated organic sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoon of chocolate almond milk
3 tablespoons of melted Earth Balance vegan butter
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease the donut pan with spray oil or vegan butter.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, including the sugar. Using a whisk will mix them nicely.
- In another large bowl, mix in all of the dry ingredients.
- Put the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until completely combined.
- Put the batter into a piping bag or a ziploc bag and pipe into the donut pan. Fill to about 2/3 full.
- Put into oven and bake for 9-12 minutes. I baked them for about 10 minutes.
- Pull them out and let them cool for 5 minutes. Then put onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- I then dipped them into a chocolate ganache that I had mixed together. I heated 1/4 cup of chocolate almond milk (you can use plain or vanilla) and poured the warmed milk over 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips. Mix the two together until smooth. Dip each donut into the ganache and put onto the plate. Sprinkle crushed candy cane on them. You can also use coloured sprinkles, crushed nuts, or coconut as well.
Well I can honestly say these taste as good as they look. They are so moist and decadent. Definitely a new Christmas recipe for our house!