I was having a bad day the other day and decided that the only thing that was going to make me feel better was to make some chocolate chip cookies. I had purchased Nom Yourself Cookbook a while ago and haven’t had a chance to try too many recipes in there yet but chef Mary had a chocolate chip cookies recipe that I was itching to try.
I don’t know about you but I have tried so many different chocolate chip cookie recipes and have found them all so different in the way the cookies turn out. Sometimes too fluffy or cakey, sometimes too gooey and flat. Mary Mattern’s Simple Vegan Chocolate Chip recipe was easy to follow and I must say, the cookies were amazing. They received glowing reviews from the harshest of cookie critics in my house.
I have decided to share this recipe with you but encourage you to take a look through her blog. If you click on the name, it is linked to her blog. It is full of yummy recipes, both sweet and savoury.
Mary’s Simple Vegan Chocolate Chip cookie recipe:
3/4 cup Vegan Margarine (ie Earth Balance)
1 1/3 cup Turbinado Sugar
1 tbl. Vanilla Extract
1 tbl. Milled Flax Seeds
3 tbl. Hot Water
2 cups Unbleached Flour
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 16oz. bag of Vegan Chocolate Chips
Vegetable Oil (for greasing)
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- -Mix Margarine, Sugar & Vanilla Extract in large bowl until smooth
- -In small bowl, whisk flaxseeds and hot water for 30 seconds then pour into Sugar mixture.
- -In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar until well combined.
- -Slowly mix flour mixture into sugar mixture until there are no more flour clumps.
- -Fold in Chocolate Chips until well distributed.
- -Lightly grease cookie sheet with vegetable oil then scoop cooking dough with spoon onto tray, leaving an inch between each cookie.
-Bake for 9 minutes. Let cool on cookie rack for 15 minutes, then enjoy!
**Nom Tip: The cookies will be very mushy still when you take them out of the oven. Use a metal spatula to transfer cookies to cooking rack. I assure you the 15 minute cool time will harden the outside of the cookie, but keep the inside extra gooey!
Click here for the Instagram pic of these babies: