Hey just because the official burger season may be coming to an end, doesn’t mean you can’t eat a good burger still!
Val was feeling the need for some burgers and came up with some delicious, spicy black bean burgers. The recipe is easy and they were amazing! For sure will satisfy that burger craving.
Spicy Black Bean Patties
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 454 grams of extra-firm tofu (drained well, pat dry with paper towels)
- *1 egg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- smoked paprika, tomato and avocado for garnish
- Grape seed or coconut oil for cooking
*For a Vegan option use a chia or flax egg (1 tbsp flax or chia soaked in 2 1/2 tbsp of water-let sit for 5 minutes before adding)
- Drain the tofu and pat dry with paper or cotton tea towels. Try to remove as much water as you can. Crumble the tofu into small pebble sized pieces and set aside.
- Add black beans, egg, oats, tomato puree, garlic, parsley, chili powder, cayenne and sea salt to a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth. I like to leave a little bit of texture here.
- Add the crumbled tofu to the black bean mixture and portion into 4 X 1 inch patties.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp grape seed oil or coconut oil on medium high heat, add the patties and cook for 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- I serve these patties on top of stir-fried greens and grape tomatoes. You may also serve them on a gluten-free bun with sliced tomato and avocado or wrapped in a collard leaf with a tahini garlic dressing.
The recipe is super easy to do and very flexible for dietary needs. Easy to make vegan or gluten free and just as yummy either way!
Hope you try out the Spicy Black Bean Burgers! Let us know how they turned out for you.