Pumpkin Spice has quickly become the official Fall flavour. You can get almost anything Pumpkin Spiced these days so we are embracing the Pumpkin Spice and Val came up with a super baked oatmeal….and that’s right…it’s Pumpkin Spice. 🙂
This is not your Mother’s oatmeal.
We all know that oatmeal is traditionally eaten at breakfast but I declare this Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal to be not only a great breakfast but an amazing snack and dare I say, dessert! This recipe can easily be made to be gluten free simply by using gf oats and vegan by using flax eggs instead of regular eggs.
Pumpkin Spice Baked Oatmeal
- 2 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (a mix of cloves, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup milk or non-dairy milk
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients until well combined.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well.
5. Grease a 3 quart casserole dish and pour the mixture into the dish.
6. Garnish with raw nuts and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and firm.
7. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and yogurt or coconut cream. Delicious for breakfast, as a warm dessert or as a healthy snack. For a vegan version replace the egg with a flax egg and the milk with non-dairy milk. I use plain almond milk in this recipe.
She had me at maple syrup. If I can put maple syrup on my breakfast, I am happy. Seriously though…this is a great way to get your oatmeal like your Mother told you to eat!