The week nights are getting shorter right? It sure seems like it when you get home and it is dark already. Back to the routines of the fall also means that we may be out doing errands or running kids to activities during the week. With less time to prepare some delicious and healthy meals, it is way too easy to order take out of grab some fast food when you’re out. The good thing is that more and more, new restaurants, especially independently owned places, offer some healthy options that are fast too.
If you want a fast and easy option for dinner that even the pickiest of eater will enjoy, my go-to option is always pasta. I am back to teaching Thursday nights so I want make sure I eat something a little more substantial than a peanut butter and banana sandwich, so I fall back on pasta and stir fried veggies. Without meat in our diets, we add in some tempeh for the protein factor. You can certainly leave it out if it is not your thing.
- One package pasta (we use brown rice pasta as we have a Celiac in the house but you can use whatever you like and whatever shape is fine too!)
- Green bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- Spanish onion, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 sliced mushrooms…we used Cremini mushrooms
- 2-3 Carrots…the heirloom carrots are so yummy and look really great in the mix if you can get your hands on some. Peeled and sliced.
- A whopping handful of greens- Ok here I used Arugula but I am told that some people are offended by the taste of Arugula…so spinach or kale would work just fine.
- 2 cloves garlic…sliced and smashed.
- 2-3 tablespoons of grape seed oil…I was totally lucky and used
- 1/2 package of tempeh cut into small bite sized cubes. You can use more if you want more.
Now, you certainly can add whatever other veggies you have at home. I had the basics but if I had some brocolli or zucchini…that would have been added too.
- Cook the pasta as you normally would and set aside.
- In a large pan, put the oil and garlic on medium. Let sizzle for a couple of minutes
- Add the rest all in one go EXCEPT the greens 🙂
- Stir fry all the veggies and tempeh until the onions are translucent or carmelizing begins and the tempeh is slightly browned
- Add the pasta and a touch more oil if you think you need it.
- Then add the greens and mix thoroughly.
- You can add salt, pepper and maybe a pinch of chili pepper flakes to heat it up.
This pasta dish is super easy and delicious that is chock full of veggies and protein too!
You can add a bit of pasta sauce, if you like it a little more saucy!
Make a big pot and eat it for lunch the next day too!