You had me at chocolate.
And…this is going to blow your mind…they are vegan and gluten free!
These babies turned out so good. Moist and chocolatey. I put a little coffee in the mix to give them a mocha flavour and then thought that at Christmas you could add a little peppermint instead.
As we continue through the month…Cookie Month that is.
- 1 tbsp flax meal and 2 tbsp hot water (for egg replacer)
- 2/3 cup gluten free flour (I used brown rice)
- 1 tsp xantham gum (I find that if you use rice flour, you may need this. Some pre mixes already have it)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup fine sugar. (I bought brown crystalline sugar and just pulsed it a couple times in my grinder to make it a little finer)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup icing sugar (make sure to read the package for gluten free)
- 2 tbsp coffee or warm water.
- Prepare flax egg by mixing the water and flax meal. Leave aside.
- In a mixing bowl, put in flour, xantham gum, baking powder, sugar and whisk until mixed
- Add the vegan butter with a fork and mix with fork or hands to crumble.
- Add cocoa powder and water or coffee and flax egg.
- Mix with electric mixer or stand mixer until a ball forms.
- Put in the fridge for at least 30 min to chill.
- Heat up oven to 350F
- Put icing sugar on plate. Form balls from dough and roll completely in the sugar.
- Place the balls on parchment and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy the crackly chocolatey yumminess of these cookies!
Just like the ginger cookies were amazing with tea, these chocolate dreams go best with coffee, or a hot chocolate…or if you like a cold bevvy, maybe a big glass of almond milk.