I know what you’re thinking…she’s lost her mind.
You may be right about that but I am telling you that these are delicious.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip cookies!
We have made sweet potato cookies in a previous blog post and although really good, they are more of a spice cookie. Reminiscent of pumpkin pie type flavour. This new recipe is a twist on an old fave. who doesn’t like a chocolate chip cookie? The sweet potato just gives it that little bit of extra flavour and acts as some moisture in this vegan recipe.
We made them gluten free but they will work with other flours as well if you don’t want or need to make them that way.
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup sugar (we used Organic Demerara sugar)
- 5 tbsp sweet potato puree
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups brown rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp salt
- To make the sweet potato puree, we just cut the potato up into large chunks. Maybe 6 pieces from 1 large potato. Then, we steam it over boiling water for 15-20 minutes until it becomes soft. Let it cool before handling it.
- Put the butter into a large mixing bowl (either for a stand mixer or a large bowl that you can use a hand mixer with) and the sugar. Mix until fluffy.
- Put in the maple syrup and the sweet potato that you have measured out. Mix again until combined completely.
- Adding in the flour and baking powder is next but make sure you mix as you add until all blended.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line the pans with parchment paper and scoop out with a teaspoon. Form into balls and flatten with spoon or fingers.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Cool on rack
I know this sounds totally crazy but seriously try them out! Moist chocolatey cookies….not really like Mom used to make but pretty darn good!