For all you 80’s music lovers out there…
I touch you once I touch you twice
I won’t let go at any price…
You won’t want to let go of these cookies! Ok…Maybe not Orchestral Manoevers in the Dark…more like Orange Maple Date cookies. 🙂
My go to favourite sweeteners by far are pure maple syrup and dates. The addition of the orange zest really makes this recipe extra crave worthy. You can exchange the orange zest for lemon and make the recipe gluten free with gluten free certified oats and gluten free flour.
- 1 1/4 cups Spelt Flour
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp avocado, sunflower or grapeseed oil
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add dates and coconut, mix to combine.
- Add the oil, maple syrup, orange zest and vanilla to the dry ingredients, mix to combine.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop up a heaping sized portion of dough and place onto a lined baking sheet, spacing the dough 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a golden colour.
- Cool completely on a rack and store in an airtight container.
This cookie is crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. We love this fall treat with a cup of english breakfast tea while of course listening to our favourite 80’s playlist!