Feeling all fancy today as we bring to you some Earl Grey Shortbread. Not just any Earl Grey Shortbread, but Vegan and Gluten free too.
Yes it is possible! Vegan and Gluten Free shortbread!!!!
Christmas just wouldn’t be the same without shortbread. My Grandma used to make unbelievable shortbread cookies that would melt in your mouth. Nothing but butta!!!
Once we started making our own Christmas goodies, it just seemed natural to add the shortbread to the collection. With a Celiac in the house, and now some vegans too, we decided to rise to the challenge and include a shortbread cookie they could all eat.
We ended up with a vegan-gluten free shortbread that has the same rich taste of regular with the added bonus of the Earl Grey tea infused into it.
- 1 cup of Earth Balance (I used the original, yellow tub)
- ½ cup Confectioners Sugar (I know this isn’t the most healthy sugar but hey, it’s Christmas)
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 bag Earl Grey Tea Leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the Earth Balance and confectioners sugar in a large bowl or stand mixer until smooth and creamy consistency.
- Add in flour, salt, and tea leaves. Mix with the stand mixer or a really strong arm until a soft dough forms.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until it’s ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out cookiesusing a round cookie cutter, or whatever shape you like. They may not be as forgiving to detailed cutters as a sugar cookie would be so I would recommend just a basic shape.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15 minutes or until edges are a golden brown.
- Cool on rack before plating.
- Make yourself a good cup of tea and enjoy this melt in your mouth shortbread but don’t forget…pinkies up!
I haven’t tried this recipe with ‘regular’ ingredients, like real butter or all purpose wheat flour, but I just might. The Earl Grey in the shortbread is amazing. I don’t think any adjustment would be needed for the use of regular ingredients, so if you try it, let us know!