When you over buy the bananas and have cranberries left over from Christmas….you make muffins!
The window of opportunity for the banana in our home is small. There is a very fine line, maybe a matter of a couple of days between not ripe enough and too ripe. Personally, I can’t eat them too ripe. Sure, you can toss them into a smoothie, but the temperatures here in Ontario have not been conducive to me wanting to make a freezing cold smoothie.
The cranberries I bought over Christmas are still in the crisper as I didn’t use as many as I thought I may need for dinner.
So I put them together…in a muffin!
This recipe can be made vegan or not, gluten free or not. It really is very flexible for any type of dietary options you have to accommodate. Today, I just made them vegan, but have included the substitutions for gluten free if you need that as well.
3 medium sized bananas mashed
1/2 cup of sugar (I have used 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of maple syrup as well and it works!) Brown sugar or coconut sugar works the best here.
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of flax meal plus 3 tablespoons of warm water), or 1 egg, or 2 tablespoons of unsweetened apple sauce. Any of these will work. I have tried all three. Personally, I enjoy the apple sauce substitution as I just adds just a little hint of apple flavour to them as well.
1/3 cup of melted coconut oil (or margarine or butter)
1 1/2 cups of flour *** so for here, you can make this gluten free by using the same amount of brown rice flour. I like the brown rice flour as I feel it just has a little more consistency to it than the white, plus you get the added fibre of the brown rice. AND…this is important…add 1 teaspoon of xantham gum or guar gum. This will help keep them from crumbling.
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 tablespoons of flax meal (this is optional but gives the muffins a little more body)
1 cup …or so of cranberries. Really, use as many as you like to make them as full of cranberries as you want…no rules here.
- Heat the oven to 400F.
- In a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or a big spoon and a fast hand, put the mashed banana and sugar together and mix up. Add in the egg and melted butter, mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and flax meal. Combine them all together.
- Slowly adding in the dry to the wet mixture and stir just until combined.
- Add in the cranberries but try not to over mix.
- Scoop mixture into muffin tin. Either a greased tin or use the silicone cups.
- Bake for 15-20 min
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee and enjoy!