It’s creamy but not!
I love a creamy tomato soup and I love roasted red peppers.
I don’t want to add cream or milk to the soup so I thought….what about cashew cream?
Admitedly I haven’t worked with cashew cream very much but it was incredibly easy. Simply soak the raw cashews for a good couple of hours. Put them in your blender or a pulsing food processor and blend until you get a smooth creamy consistency.
This Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup is deliciously creamy with adding the cream!
Give it a try and let us know what you think!
- 2 red peppers
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw cashews-soaked
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup almond milk – unsweetened.
- a pinch of chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the garlic, onions and red peppers with the olive oil at 350F for about 30-40 minutes
- Pulse the cashews once they are soaked to get a creamy consistency.
- In a large pot, after the red peppers are roasted, pour in the tomatoes, red peppers, onions and garlic. Add in the cashew cream and chili flakes and salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil on medium heat.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Take your immersion blender or pour into blender to pulse until all the chunks are smoothed out. You’ll get a souper creamy consistency.
- Pour back into your big pot and add the almond milk
- Heat for another 5-10 minutes and stir.
I had mine with some crackers but hey…the best combo is the old grilled cheese…you can make it a vegan grilled cheese to keep this meal completely dairy free too!