Smoke ’em if you got ’em!
Haha…not really, but I couldn’t help myself.
Val’s soup this week is a savoury smokey tasting soup make with a unique tea called Lapsang Souchong.
I know…tea…in soup?!
I had never heard of this tea, but Val had while reading a Rosamunde Pilcher novel many years ago. The tea was described as a peaty scotch rather that a tea. I think that really caught Val’s attention! 😉
The black tea is dried by smoking it over a fire of pine wood, which infuses the smokey flavour to the tea. The tea can be used with other brewed teas or mixed with spices for marinades. The smokey flavour is a nice treat for vegetarians who miss having a smokey flavour.
This recipe was inspired by a recipe in the book from Soup Sisters. Soup Sisters is a non-profit organization who donates soup to domestic abuse shelters throughout Canada. Check out their organization as well as their souper cookbook!
- 8 tsp Lapsang Souchong tea
- 6 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white miso paste
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup tofu, diced
- pepper to taste
- garnish soup with green onions, finely diced
- Boil 6 cups of water and steep tea for 3 minutes maximum, any longer than this will make the tea bitter tasting. Strain the tea leaves.
- In a large soup pot, combine the brewed tea, vegetable broth and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low heat and add the miso, stir until it is dissolved.
- Add the zest, lemon juice, ginger, wasabi and rice vinegar. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and tofu and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Season with pepper to taste.
- Add green onions just before serving.
Brewing the smokey Lapsang Souchong tea.
The smokey, savouriness of this soup will sure to satisfy.