Heading into the middle of March and we are freezing our buns off here!
March gives us almost every season in one month! This March is no different. We’ve had beautiful warm weather, thunder storms, snow, and now the temperatures have taken a plunge and we are back to bundling up!
Warm up with some Chilli! Val’s Veggie Chilli
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can great northern beans, rinsed and drained “
- 1 small can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp dark cocoa powder-try ‘Camino’ brand in health food section for high quality cacao
- large can of diced tomatoes
- juice of one fresh lime
- Avocado for garnish
- In a large pot, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, red pepper, grated carrot and saute until onion becomes translucent.
- Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin seeds, cayenne and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and add mushrooms & zucchini; simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Simmer for 40 minutes
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Serve over brown rice and top with diced avocado.
Val’s Veggie Chilli will warm you up on these last cold days of the winter and stick with you, giving you some super energizing goodness!