Time for some lemony goodness!
Attempt number two at gluten free scones! This time we are going lemon and rosemary combo.
Adapted from The Minimalist Baker scone recipe, we ended up with a delicious scone that is amazing for breakfast or for a dessert. The recipe is vegan. My husband, who is the Celiac tester, enjoyed his with some lemon curd that we had purchased, but it was not vegan.
The Minimalist Baker has a wonderful Lemon Curd recipe that is vegan as well.
- 1 flax egg or 2 tablespoons of apple sauce, which is what I used this time
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 cups of brown rice flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar, plus more for topping
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary , roughly chopped
- 6 Tbsp room temperature coconut oil or vegan butter
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper .
- Prepare flax egg in a small mixing bowl, or use apple sauce and mix with almond milk, then add the lemon juice and zest.
- In a separate mixing bowl, brown rice flour, baking powder, organic cane sugar, salt, and rosemary. Whisk to combine.
- Add room temperature coconut oil and use a pastry cutter (or fork) to cut it into the mixture until only small bits remain.
- Whisk the flax or apple sauce -almond milk mixture once more and add to the dry ingredients a little at a time while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Gently transfer to a floured surface and use your hands to form it into a disc about 1 inch in height. Use a large knife to cut the circle into 6 even wedges. Then use a floured spatula to transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with a bit more cane sugar.
- Bake for 22-27 min, or until fluffy and light golden brown on the edges. Let cool slightly before enjoying.
- Best when fresh. Once completely cooled, store leftovers at room temperature in a well-sealed container for up to 3 days. Freezer for longer term storage, if they last that long. Our are gone!!!