Well I tried out a couple of new recipes this weekend. One did NOT go as planned and was a major flop. It was going to be an upside down Blueberry Banana cake. Just didn’t work. The Blueberries ended up burnt and the cake wasn’t cooked properly. So I said…screw this cake and went out on my bike.
The sun was shining here this weekend and there were some lovely warmer temperature and I had to get out!
Now, if you follow us on Instagram, you would have seen on Saturday morning that I posted some waffles and blueberries we were having for breakfast. I tried out this new brand of frozen fruit called Nude Fruit. Which, you can guess from the name, there is nothing added to these fruits. They are individually frozen so you don’t get a lump of frozen fruit.
Sunday came and I was not going to let the failure of the cake defeat me.
These delicious blueberries were going to be used for something!
They say to stick to what you know. I know donuts.
So how about some Blueberry Vegan and Gluten free donuts?
I made both gluten free and non-gluten free so the recipe will have both options 🙂
1 cup of all purpose flour **to make gluten free, I find that brown rice flour and 1 teaspoon of xantham gum works quite well.
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup almond or soy milk
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce (or 1 flax egg) ***I used a flax egg this time
1/4 cup vegan margarine or coconut oil.
1/4 cup of magical blueberries.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together using a whisk.
- In a sauce pan or a glass bowl, mix the wet ingredients together and heat until the margarine or coconut oil is melted. I have found that a glass bowl in the microwave will work as well as a sauce pan on the stove, but just watch that you heat just until the margarine is melted and not any more than that.
- Mix the wet into the dry and mix thoroughly. Then add in the blueberries, just fold them in enough to mix them.
- Into a greased donut pan, put the batter in, preferably pipe it in but will work with a spoon, you will just have to make sure the batter is evenly distributed in the pan.
- Bake 10-15 minutes. The donut should just be golden and spring back at you when you push on them.
- Take out and let cool.
Just look at this beautiful donut!!!