Well I promised you would see the result of my attempt to veganize The Hungry Elephant‘s Coconut Onion Ring recipe.
They turned out pretty darn good!
Now, I wil probably guess they weren’t as crispy as hers. I got the coating to be crispy but the overall ring was a little wiggly.
Here’s how we did it if you want to give it a go!
- A large spanish onion – cut into rings
- 1 cup of unsweetened, plain Almond Milk
- 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Cut your onion into rings and separate.
- Mix your almond milk and olive oil and whisk to combine.
- Mix your coconut and rice flour and whisk together.
- Take the rings, one at a time and submerge into the almond milk mixture, then into the coconut mixture. Now, I did a few just one pass through this sequence, but I found the ones that turned out the best had another go around, so do this twice and I think you’ll find they coat a little better.
- Heat up some oil in a fry pan.
- Once you have coated a few, and the oil is hot, put the rings in single layer in your pan just long enough to brown a bit on each side.
- Then put them onto a cookie sheet where you slide them into the oven on Broil.
- I broiled them and they really browned up nicely with a crispy coating on them.
We had fun eating them too!
Thanks again to The Hungry Elephant for the inspiration!