Apple~Strawberry Crisp made Gluten Free and Vegan!
One of my all time favourite desserts to bring to a get together is Apple Crisp. With Strawberry season on the horizon, I couldn’t help but include them in my recipe this time.
With vegans and gluten-free individuals, it is a super easy recipe to make both vegan and gluten free. Using the Only Oats gluten free oats and vegan margarine (we use Earth Balance), this recipe still tastes amazing and actually makes a great breakfast too.
- 9 small to medium sized apples
- 2 cups frozen sliced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (for the fruit mixture)
- 2 cups of Only Oats oatmeal
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour plus 1 tablespoon for fruit mixture
- 1/2 cup sugar for topping
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance Vegan margarine
- Slice up apples ( I didn’t peal them but you certainly can)
- Put the apples into a large mixing bowl.
- Put in the lemon juice and 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Mix to coat the apples.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of brown rice flour.
- Add the strawberries and mix again.
- Put the mixture into a 9 x 13 glass pan and heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a smaller bowl, put the oats in, the 1/2 cup of brown rice flour, hemp hearts, 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of margarine and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Cover the fruit mixture with the topping and completely cover the fruit.
- Pop in oven for 45-50 minutes on 375 degrees.
Serve hot for the most delicious dessert and maybe some ice cream on the side 🙂
And if there happen to be any leftovers, like I said, it makes a delicious breakfast….hey it has fruit…and oatmeal…right?