Ok. The name doesn’t roll off the tongue, but the salad is amazing!
With the sunny skies and warmer weather becoming more prominent we all look for something fresh and full of flavour to eat.
The Roasted Sweet Potato, Pomegranate and Quinoa Salad is so full of deliciousness that you will be going back for more.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 3 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 fresh pomegranate, seeded
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pink sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Be sure to rinse the quinoa with cold running water and strain through a fine sieve until water runs clear. Set aside quinoa, let cool completely before using.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a tray with parchment paper. Place onion wedges on one side and the sweet potato cubes to the other side. Drizzle the onions and the sweet potato with 2 tbsp of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15 minutes until the onion is soft. Remove the onions to cool completely and allow the sweet potato to cook another 10 minutes or until tender. Remove the sweet potato and allow to cool completely.
- In a large serving bowl add the quinoa, vegetables, pomegranate seeds, lemon, olive oil, sea salt and pepper to taste. Adjust seasonings to your taste. Gently fold ingredients until evenly blended. Serve with lemon wedges.
Roasted and cubed mixed bell peppers and or eggplant are wonderful additions to this colourful, nutrient-rich salad. You may serve this with chick pea falafel and tahini dressing for a satisfying and delicious meal. You may substitute the basil for fresh finely diced parsley.
Let us know if you give it a try! It’s officially salad season and they don’t have to be boring!