Cookies for Breakfast!!!
Val said it was ok 🙂
This breakfast cookie is gluten free, dairy and nut free! Not overly sweet but if you need a little boost in your cookie, adding some mini chocolate chips or cacao nibs will definitely be a welcome add on.
- 1 cup Tahini (sesame butter), sunflower seed or pumpkin butter
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla
- 2 cups whole oats, pulse in a high speed blender 5 x until oats are broken up
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp chia
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp whole flax seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup goji berries or raisins
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds (add these to the wet ingredients above and let sit for 5 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 325 F
1. Place all the wet ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until well blended. Add ground flax and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and blend well.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently blend together until all of the dry ingredients are absorbed.
4. Take about 1/4 cup of batter (I use an ice cream scoop) and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten the batter with a fork to about 1/2 inch and be sure that all the cookies are uniformly sized for even baking.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a cookie rack and store in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days, in the fridge for 7 days or freezer for 3 months.
This recipe is so very versatile that you can change up a few things to give a whole new taste.
You can replace the tahini with almond or peanut butter and substitute the dried fruits with dates and orange zest.
The possibilities are endless. I love to substitute the cranberries/raisins with dried apricots, currants and lemon zest.
For you Pumpkin Spice Lovers… replace the banana with pumpkin puree and add pumpkin spice instead of cinnamon. YUMMY!!!