Time for dessert!!
I wanted to make a fresh tasting, new dessert that I hadn’t tried to make before. I also wanted to be able to make individual servings so that I was able to give some out for others to try.
Scanning my favourite websites for inspiration, this jumped out at me right away. From The Minimalist Baker….Key Lime Tarts!
I altered it slightly, just based on my own taste, but the recipe is very easy to follow and the perfect dessert for any day of the week! They freeze and keep well so left overs don’t go to waste.
- 1 package of gluten free Graham Crackers. We used Kinnikinnick brand they were perfect.
- 5 Tbsp of vegan butter, melted. We used Earth Balance.
- 1 & 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours (or overnight) then drained
- 3/4 cup coconut milk. We used light one time and full fat the other and I found no difference in the taste or consistency.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3-4 large limes or 6-7 key limes. This works out to about 1/2 cup of juice but you can add more for more tartness.
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (honey can be used if not looking for a vegan option)
- 1 Tbsp of lime zest and another tablespoon to garnish.
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a muffin tin with paper or silicon liners. We used silicon and they worked wonderfully.
- The graham crackers go into a food processor and ground up to a meal. Then add the melted butter.
- Distribute evenly among muffin tins and press down with a glass or spoon to flatten. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a blender, put in the coconut milk, agave and cashews and blend to smooth. I added the lime juice after that to be able to get a taste for how tart I wanted it to be.
- Pour the filling into the muffin cups, put some zest on them and then into the freezer. I waited to cover them about 1/2 hour as I found the wrap stuck to them if I didn’t.
- Freeze for 2-4 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer for 10-15 minutes to thaw before serving. Will keep covered in the freezer for up to 2 weeks, though best when fresh.
- We topped them with Coconut whip cream. I tried a store bought brand for ease and it worked very well!