Super quick and spicy!
I needed to make something quick last night and couldn’t face another bowl of pasta, so I took a look in the cupboard and the fridge and came up with a red chili tofu bowl on a bed of quinoa.
This is very loosey goosey in the measurements and are open to any interpretation you wish. If you like more spice…pile on the red chili paste or even throw some cayenne in there. I added some maple syrup to mine because…well…it’s maple syrup and it should be added to as many recipes as humanly possible.
**I also made this with half a block of firm tofu. If you need to cook for more people, just adjust the recipe accordingly. ***
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Red Chili paste
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger (I used the fresh ground in the jar but I think dried would work as well)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup rinsed, chopped fresh spinach (although kale would definitely work too)
- 1 cup rinsed, chopped cucumber
- So today I tried a new, locally (Ontario) grown quinoa. It is made by Quinta Quinoa and I found it to be very flavourful and delicious. I used their directions for the cooking of the quinoa in case it varied from others I have used. They recommend that you rinse the quinoa in cold water first thoroughly. Then in a pot, add 1 cup quinoa and 1 1/4 cup of water. Bring to boil and then cover, lower setting to low/medium and cook for 14 minutes. I found it took a little longer but that could be my pot. Set aside the quinoa when cooked.
- In a skillet, add the olive oil, and the seasonings (red chili paste, ginger, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Heat on medium.
- Mix them all thoroughly and then add the tofu that you have sliced into 1cm x 5cm x 1cm strips. Obviously, don’t get the ruler out for this. If you like cubed, then cube them. Get creative with this!
- Add the tofu into the skillet and coat with the heated spicy mixture. Cook for 5-8 minutes to brown the tofu on all sides, so you’ll have to flip them a bit. The main thing is to get them all coated in the spicy goodness.
- Place a helping of quinoa in a bowl. Add some tofu and the greens and cucumber. If you need a little more zap, add some sriracha.
We always like to hear if you have put your own spin on our recipes, so let us know how you have made this one!