So we took a little break but we are back and baking!
What better way to come back to the blog than by sharing something chocolate! This cookie is gluten free and vegan and chocolatey and chewy goodness.
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg replacer…we used 1 tbsp chia seeds with 2 tbsp of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats-gluten free Only Oats are what we used
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together in a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, the Earth Balance and the sugar. Mix until combined and fluffy consistency.
- Add the chia egg and vanilla, and beat until blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, xantham gum, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add to the wet ingredients in the mixer bowl and mix just until combined. Add rolled oats and the cranberries.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Once you take them out, they may be very soft but the cookies with crisp on the outside if you let them cool. The insides will remain nice a chewy gooey though!
Me Want Cookies!
I had a hankering for a cookie tonight so I thought I would make some. Scanning the cupboard and then the blog for a recipe, I decided on a tried and true Ginger Molasses cookie. We have made them before and although the recipe was Gluten free before, we gave suggestions for the veganized version so I went with that…and here it is!
**also I used Brown Rice flour and Xantham gum instead of Quoinoa flour because that is all I had in the cupboard 🙂
- 2 cups Brown Rice Flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- *1/4 cup turbinado sugar for coating cookies
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a medium sized bowl, cream the Earth Balance and brown sugar until smooth.
- Beat the apple sauce and molasses into the margarine/sugar mixture until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the brown rice flour, baking soda, xantham gum, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves; blend well.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and mix well.
- Put in fridge for 1 hour if possible.
- Roll enough dough to form 1 1/2 inch (4 cm) balls. You can also use a medium sized melon ball scoop for more precise measuring.
- Flatten with a fork and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet and bake on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes.
- The cookies should be slightly browned on the bottom when they are done.
- Let cookies cool for 2-3 minutes before removing them from the sheet. Allow to cool completely on a cookie rack.
- These cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a week or frozen for 4-6 weeks.